Government established Directorate of Pension and Provident Fund vide the Finance Department’s Resolution No. DPP/4887/455(2)/P-1 dated the 21st August, 1987. The Directorate started functioning with effect from 1.9.1987. The stipulated date (cut off date) for fixing pension was decided as 1.4.1988 by this office.
The Directorate of Pension and Provident Fund performs its functions under the control of Finance Department of the State Government. Director, Pension and Provident Fund has been declared as the Head of Department vide Govt in Finance Department vide Finance Department’s Resolution No. DPP/1187/521/P-1 dated 24th September, 1987. The powers for appointment, posting, transfer, promotion of all the Class I Officers and above in the office of the Head of Department is at the disposal of the State Government. The powers for appointment of Class-II Officers are also vested with the State Government while the powers regarding the transfer of Class II Officers and other establishment are delegated to Directorate of Accounts and Treasury and the powers relating to all the appointments, transfers, promotions of Class III and IV employees have been delegated to Directorate of Accounts and Treasury. This is a State level office and has no subordinate office at the district or taluka level. And considering the nature of functions, this office deals with the Government employees/officers and pensioners as well as the Government offices. It means it has no direct connection with the public.
As the function of pension relates to Right and being not under the provisions of the section 10 (1) of the Comptroller and Auditor General (Duties, Powers and Conditions of Service) Act, 1971. The State Government, with a view to expedite the disposal of the pension cases, decided to take over the dealing of pension from the Accountant General with effect from 1.4.1988 vide Govt.in Finance Department’s Government Resolution No. DPP/4887/453(1)/ P-1 dated 21.8.1987 .
Pension Payment Authority is being issued to all government servants eligible for pension on receipt of pension (sanction) papers duly sanctioned by the competent authority. Pension of the Class IV employees has been assigned to the Assistant Examiner of the District concerned vide Finance Department’s Resolution No. Misc./2000/D/903/P dated 16.3.2001 but it has been decided that work relating to authorization of the pension of the Daily wage workers, kotwals, Class-IV employees of Grant-in-Aid institutions, will be dealt by Directorate of Pension and Provident Fund only, as mentioned in this office Circular No.DPP/LM/Class IV/804/312 dated 27.3.2001. Pension of class IV employees has been assigned with effect from 01/12/2010 to Directorate of Pension and Provident Fund vide Finance Department’s Resolution No પરચ/૧૦૨૦૧૦/૧૬૧૭/પી Dated 10/02/2011. Pension work of District Panchayat Employees and Primary Teachers of the Panchayat has been taken over by Directorate of Pension and Provident Fund office vide Finance Department Resolution No: PRCH-102010-1617-CD-462|2014)-P Dated: 14/11/2014 w.ef-01/06/2015 Resolution No: PRCH-102010-1617 CD-462|2014)-P Dated: 26/12/2014
GPF of Class-IV employees :
This office has been assigned the functions relating to GPF of Class IV employees and Daily wage workers vide Finance Department’s Resolution No. DPP/1187/519/P-1 dated 29.10.1987.
The accounts of General Provident Fund of all the Class IV employees, work charge employees, Daily wages workers are being maintained by this office since 1.4.1989.
HBA / MCA
The maintenance of House Building Advance (HBA) and Motor Car Advance (MCA) accounts have been transferred to Directorate of Pension and Provident Fund vide Finance Department’s Government Resolution No. DPP/4887/588/1/P-1 dated 7.3.1999. Till 31.3.1989, these accounts were maintained by the office of Accountant General, Rajkot and Pay and Accounts Office, Ahmedabad-Gandhinagar. From 1.4.1989, the functions relating maintenance of accounts of HBA and MCA of all the Government employees/officers are carried out by this office.
This office also deals with the functions relating to repayment of loans availed from Banks and the interest thereon against the sale of government HBA portfolio as mentioned in Finance Department’s Memorandum No.NNM/102004/256/Z dated 1.7.2004. This office monitors the regular repayment.
New Defined Contributory Pension Scheme
The State Government has introduced a New Defined Contributory Pension Scheme with effect from 1.4.2005 vide Finance Department’s Resolution No. NPN/2003/GOI/10/P dated 18.3.05. As proposed in the said resolution, all the functions regarding the maintenance of the records, in respect of contributions by employees and the State Government, interest earned thereon, funds being transferred to the Fund Managers as well as the co-ordination with the Central Record Keeping agency, investments, accounting process etc. is being dealt with by this office.
Assessment of Pension Liabilities
The State Government, vide Finance Department’s Resolution No. PNL / 2003 / GOI / 7 / P dated 27.7.2005, has initiated a project in consultation with the World Bank, New Delhi, under the instructions of the Central Government, with a view to collect the details of all the employees of all the administrative departments of the Government, Heads of Departments, Heads of Offices, Semi Government Offices, Boards/Corporations/Autonomous bodies where the retirement benefits or grants relating thereto is paid by the State Government and details of all the pensioners or family pensioners whose pension expenditure is incurred by the Government of Gujarat. The details are being collected under this project for assessment of retirement benefits with reference to the prevailing pension scheme and the same will be reviewed on regular interval and it has been also planned to make the data, web-enabled to facilitate monitoring the details of employees of various cadres retiring in future so as to enable the concerned to initiate pension paper well in advance.
This office deals with the pensionary benefits of the various categories of Government employees as listed below
Nature of the Pensionable Employees
- All Class-I, II, III and IV employees of the State Government.
- Judges of Honourable High Court.
- Members of Public Service Commission.
- Employees / Officers of Gujarat Legislative Secretariat.
- Office Bearers, Officers and employees entitled to avail pension from the Consolidated Fund of the State whose expenditure of establishment is made from the above fund.
- Employees / Officers of the Non-government High Schools.
- Employees / Officers of the non-government Higher Secondary Schools.
- Employees / Officers of the Recognized Universities and Colleges thereof availing Government grant.
- Non-teaching employees / Officers of the recognized colleges availing grant-in-aid.
- Employees / Officers of the recognized physical education colleges availing Government grant.
- Employees / Officers of the recognized non government teaching colleges.
- Employees / Officers of the recognized non-government Gujarat Basic Training Course, Colleges availing government grant.
- Employees/Officers of Gujarat State Social Welfare Advisory Board and Family and Children Welfare Centre.
- Employees / Officers of such institutions run for the handicapped under Social Defence Department as are availing 100% grant.
- Employees/Officers of the Gujarat Ayurvedic University.
- Class of all other employees/officers as directed by the State Government from time to time.
- It has been decided to initiate the process of pension authorization of Daily Wage Workers, Kotwal, Class IV employees of the Grant-in-aid institutions by the Directorate of Pension and Provident Fund only
- District Panchayat Employees and Primary Teachers of Panchayat w.e.f.- 01/06/2015